SARMACJA, bay mare, *1986 (Gil/Saszetka).
Owned and bred by Janów Podlaski Stud.
Strain: Kehaileh Dajanieh (Mlecha).
The Polish Arabian Horse Breeders Society is happy to announce that the mare Sarmacja was awarded the Polish edition of the WAHO Trophy 2007. The Trophy was presented in a special ceremony to honour Sarmacja and her achievements on Sunday, August the 12th, during the Arabian Horse Days 2007 Festival at Janów Podlaski.
Sarmacja belongs to Janów Podlaski Stud’s world-renowned “S” family of indomitable racers. She represents the fifth generation of race-winning mares originating from Sabellina, the famous mare who founded the line of great race-winners including the all time sire of race-winners, Sambor.
Sarmacja herself raced 10 times in two seasons. As a 3 year old she was unbeaten, winning the Koheilan I Stakes and the Sambor Stakes. As a 4-year old she won 4 races including the Janów Stakes, the Derby, the Oaks and the International Europa Prize – Animex Cup. She was also 2nd in the Criterium and 3rd in the Bandos Stakes.
Sarmacja has also proved to be a remarkable broodmare. She is the dam of 11 foals including a National Show Champion and 6 stakes winners, among them the phenomenal filly Savannah, bred by Janów Podlaski Stud and born in USA when Sarmacja was sent there specifically to breed to Monarch AH. Her best offspring to date include:
- 1992 Sarmata (colt by Pepton) who ran 19 times, winning 5 races including the Sasanka & Wielki Szlem Stakes, 2nd in Witraz & Ofir Stakes, 3rd in Derby, Criterium & Embargo Stakes. He was exported to Brazil in 1999 and in 2001 he became the Brazilian National Champion Stallion.
- 1994 Subaru (colt by Europejczyk). 22 races, 5 wins incluidng the Gepard Stakes and several places in Listed and Group races including the Europa Cup and the Derby. Exported to Italy in 1999 where he won several more races.
- 1997 Savvannah (US) (filly by Monarch AH) 18 races in 3 seasons, 13 wins and 5 places. Wins include: Sambor Stakes, Bialka International, Koheilan I Stakes, Criterium, The Oaks, Ofir Stakes (twice), Michalow Stakes, Europa Cup, Figaro Stakes, Kabaret Stakes. Places include: 2nd in Europa Cup and Derby, 3rd in Janow Stakes. The most successful race mare in Polish history. She was exported in 2004 to Saudi Arabia.
- 1999 Saracen (colt by Monarch AH). 25 races, 7 wins, several places.
- 2000 Salsa (filly by Wojslaw) 9 races, 3 wins including Sabellina Stakes and the Oaks. Retained by the stud.
- 2002 Sabat (colt by Wojslaw). Still in race training. Track record holder for 2400 metres in 2007 in a time of 2’46”. 9 runs to date, 6 wins including Sambor Stakes, Bandos Stakes, Ofir Stakes, Kurozweki Stakes. 2nd in Europejczyk Stakes and Europa Cup, 3rd in Criterium.
- 2004 Sedna (filly by Espadero). In race training.
- Her 2005 colt Saber by Espadero and 2006 colt Sapian by Harbin are waiting in the wings until they too are old enough to compete on the racetrack.
(In photo L-R – Piotr Dwojak & Dr. Marek Trela)
SARMACJA – Poland 2007 WAHO Trophy winner