KARAMEA EVITA, Grey Mare, *1982 (Gai Cadet / Karamea Farah).
Bred and owned by Alison Steward.
Strain: Dahmeh Um Amr of Ibn Hemsi (Dahma, 1876)
Text by Alison Steward, Karamea Arabians
We have been truly blessed to have bred such a wonderful mare as Evita. Typey, graceful and gentle, she is the quintessential Arabian mare. Now in her 28th year, she still dances and prances when she is having a paddock change. On arrival, she kicks up her heels and takes off across it just to show she is feeling good about life.
Evita is a very typical example of the famous Gainey cross. Her dam, Karamea Farah was by Gai Aristocrat (US), giving Evita Gainey bloodlines on both sides of her pedigree. We knew that she was special when she was born and that she would remain with us for life, it was as simple as that. She was destined to play a big role in the stud and she achieved way beyond our expectations.
Evita was only shown for three seasons during which she gained enough points to be awarded Roll of Merit at Halter. Her last ever appearance in the show ring was the only time she ever attended a National Show. She was awarded 2001 NZ National Champion Mare by Christine Jamaar-Demeerson of Belgium, who was astounded to learn that Evita was aged 18 years. It was a fantastic National Show for not only Evita, but for members of her close family. Evita also won the Classic Head title. She and her ¾ sister, Karamea Kalilah, represented their dam Karamea Farah to win the Mare Progeny Group. Kalilah also won Top 5 in the mare classes. Karamea Estara and Karamea Fantasia, both daughters of Evita, also won Top 5’s in their respective classes.
Karamea Evita with Alison Steward
Photo credit: Bonni Paul
Evita had 10 foals, all greys. They are listed in order of birth:
- Karamea Falco by Araleigh Kavanna. Gelding. Spent his life as a pleasure horse with the Haslam family.
- Karamea Bandito by Araleigh Kavanna, Gelding. Open Endurance horse. Ridden by Sally Barber, he won the 100km lightweight division at the 1999 NZ National Endurance Championships. His career was cut short by his untimely death.
- Karamea Masquerade by Araleigh Kavanna. Gelding. Successfully shown in ridden classes by Joanne McKeown.
- Karamea Mareekah by Araleigh Kavanna. Mare. She was only ridden for a very few years by Sarah Campbell, a teenager at the time. Her main achievements were, 2000 North Island Reserve Champion Ridden Arabian. In 2000, she was also chosen to represent Northland and was the only Arabian in the team to go to Timberlands at Taupo. She was 2nd at the NZEF Northland Horse Trials, there were 40 competitors. She has also won numerous Championships under saddle in open classes as well as in show hunter classes.
- Karamea Fantasia by El Kheir Galal. Mare. Owned by Lisa Campbell, younger sister to Sarah, Fantasia also had only a short career. At her first show she won Champion Novice under Saddle against other breeds. Her other achievements were Top 5 Ridden Arabian at the 2001 NZ National Arabian Championships. Lisa was just 13 years old at the time. Fantasia didn’t contest the halter classes which was really a pity. In a rare outing into Halter classes, she was awarded Reserve Champion Purebred Mare at the 2002 Arabian Spectacular. She competed against close to 20 mares for the title. Fantasia also won numerous Championships under saddle in ridden classes around Northland. She suffered a fatal illness in 2008. This was a tragedy for the Campbell family, who absolutely adored her.
- Karamea Esmerelda by Fairview Kaptivation (AU). Mare. Has been awarded Top 5 at the three NZ National Shows that she has attended. In 2003, she became NZ National Reserve Champion Mare under the English judge, Emma Maxwell. She has also been awarded Roll of Merit at Halter. Esmerelda is the dam of Karamea Saphira, who at just 3 months of age was awarded Top 5 Junior Champion Filly at the 2009 NZ National Championships as well.
- Karamea Estara by Fairview Kaptivation (AU). Mare. Sold to Chris Baker, she was Top 5 Junior Filly at the 2001 NZ National Championships.
- Karamea Fantom by Fairview Kaptivation (AU). Gelding. Sold to Anna Scott. Any achievements are unknown.
- Karamea Estella by Fairview Kaptivation (AU). Mare. She was shown twice only, before an injury ended her show career. Awarded Top 5 Junior Filly at the 2003 NZ National Championships, and Reserve Junior Champion at the 2004 Northland Classic All Arabian Show.
- Karamea Estasha by Fairvew Kaptivation (AU). Mare. Owned by Maazea Arabians she has been shown only three times. She was 2007 NZ National Champion Junior Filly under Judge Liz Salmon, who said that she was “World Class”. In 2007, she was Supreme Champion Northland Classic All Arabian Show. In 2006, she was North Island Junior Champion.
We have retained both Esmerelda and Estella in the stud and they are proving to be very valued mares in their own right. We also have Evita’s beautiful granddaughter, Saphira by Madreya (AU), who we hope to start breeding with in 2011.
After Estasha was born, we made the decision not to breed Evita again due to her age. She became quite breathless during the birth, so we thought it best not to place her at any risk in the future. She has earned her retirement here and as the years unfold we know that there will never be another quite like her.
Thank you for recognising Evita’s outstanding contribution to the Arabian horse in New Zealand.